Kale…perhaps one of the greatest foods on the planet, so let’s talk about it. It can be eaten a million different ways & it is soooo good & good for you.
Let’s start with the health benefits:
1. Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat.
2. Kale is high in iron.
3. Kale is high in Vitamin K.
4. Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants.
5. Kale is a great anti-inflammatory food.
6. Kale is great for cardiovascular support.
7. Kale is high in Vitamin A.
8. Kale is high in Vitamin C.
9. Kale is high in calcium.
10. Kale is a great detox food.
For more on these benefits, check out this post http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4408/Top-10-Health-Benefits-of-Eating-Kale.html from http://www.mindbodygreen.com/.
So maybe now you’re thinking…ok, but I don’t like kale. (If that’s the case, there might be something wrong with you.) Here are some amazing ways to eat/drink kale.
1. Drink it! My favorite way to drink it is what I like to call a Reece Cup smoothie. Throw all of this in the blender:
- A bunch of kale: 2 or 3 or 4 handfuls
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 or 2 Tbsp. of peanut butter or almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana
- Any other fruits or veggies you want to add (you probably won’t be able to taste them, but they add healthy fillers to give you a bigger, more filling drink)
2. Have a salad. Yes, kale is good raw & it’s really crunchy. Here are some links to tasty kale salads:
Crunchy Kale Salad (I’ve made this one & it’s yummy!) http://tarastiles.com/blog/green-river-juice-crunchy-kale-salad/
Kale Cabbage Goddess Salad http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2013/03/kale-cabbage-goddess-salad/
Kale Edamame & Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/kale-edamame-and-quinoa-salad-with-lemon-vinaigrette/
Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad http://www.eatliverun.com/kale-and-brussels-sprouts-salad/
Black Rice Salad with Cherries, Baby Kale, Halloumi Cheese and Mint (I’ll skip the cheese.) http://www.feastingathome.com/2012/07/the-summer-day.html#.UbCV0-fVAxG
3. Kale Chips…Kale Chips…Kale Chips!!! They are delicious & satisfy the need for crunchy chips. The recipe below looks yummy, but they are also good with just olive oil & sea salt.
5. Kale Fried Rice
6. Throw it in a soup…this one’s a no brainer…just throw it in the soup.
7. Still not convinced…here’s a link to more recipes.